I'm a sucker for spa treatments.. Problem is, I can rarely afford them. I don't have the best complexion in the world so I'm always looking for amazing yet inexpensive ways to improve it.
I subscribe to the Herb Companion and in every issue there are do it yourself recipes for herbal spa treatments at home. They are all pocket book friendly and easy enough for a complete beginner to understand how to make them. I was immediately hooked on the first recipe!!
Once I had tried most of the Herb Companion's recipes, I scoured the Internet and found some of the most promising homemade skin care recipes out there. The following are all inexpensive and made from natural ingredients found at your local grocery store.
(Please note that I have NOT tried all of these recipes, but since they are from all natural ingredients and can easily be found at your local grocery store, I felt they were just the right choices to post.)
Yogurt Face Mask for all Skin Types
This simple (only two ingredients!) cooling mask is great for soothing a sunburnt face. It's great for all skin types.
Prep Time: 2 hours
* 1 tbsp natural yogurt, room temperature (not lowfat or non-fat)
* 1 tsp runny honey (microwave for a few minutes to soften hardened honey)
- Combine mixture, then apply to face.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash face with steaming washcloth.
- For dry skin, use an extra tsp. of honey. - Oily skin? Add a few drops of fresh lime juice.
Oatmeal and Yogurt Face Mask
This face mask is suitable for all skin types and is super simple to prepare. It will cleanse and rejuvenate your skin.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
* 1 tbsp oatmeal, finely ground
* 1 tbsp live, organic yogurt (skip the flavored stuff)
* A few drops of honey
- Add the yogurt to the oatmeal in a small bowl and mix together.
- Warm a few drops of honey. To do this, warm a spoon under hot water for a minute, then add a few drops of honey to the spoon.
- Stir the honey into the yogurt and oatmeal mixture.
- Apply the mask to the face. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse off with several splashes of warm water. Follow with a warm washcloth.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer.
Natural exfoliate for all skin types
Mix a tiny amount of brown sugar with olive oil in your palm. Once it turns into a paste, massage into your face. Cure chapped lips by mixing brown sugar with honey and massaging into lips. (Lena Korres, founder of Korres Natural Products, and makeup artist Jemima Kidd, in the July 2008 issue of Cosmo)
Cucumber Avocado Facial Mask
½ cup chopped cucumber
½ cup chopped avocado
1 egg white
2 tsp. powdered milk
- In a blender combine all of the ingredients until they form a smooth, paste-like consistency. You can apply the mask immediately or refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Apply 2 tablespoons of the cucumber avocado mask to your face and neck in circular upward motions.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, or until dry.
- To remove the mask simply rinse your face and neck with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse.
- Finally, pat dry your face and neck.
Lemon Egg-White Mask
Juice from half a lemon, strained
1 egg white
Beat together the egg white and lemon juice for three full minutes. Apply directly to your face, avoiding your eyes, and leave on for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes rinse your face with warm water and apply a moisturizer or cream.
Baking Soda Facial Scrub
Apply baking soda on wet face using circular motions
and you'll be amazed how soft your skin is going to be afterwards!
Strawberry Facial Scrub
Make a mixture of 1 tsp brown sugar and 2 mashed strawberries.
Brown sugar will remove dead cells and strawberries are going
to make your skin baby-soft.
Sea-salt and Olive Oil Facial Scrub
1 tsp olive oil ( cold pressed ) and 1/2 tsp sea salt applied gently to a wet face
will not only remove dead cells, but it will also improve micro-circulation.
Olive oil is going to nourish the skin, leaving it incredibly soft.
Cucumber Facial Scrub
Blend 1 tsp honey with ¼ medium peeled cucumber.
Mix the ingredients in a blender until smooth and
add a small amount of water if needed.
Strain the mixture and remove the vegetable and honey mixture into a small bowl.
Add the following mixed meals to the liquid: 1 teaspoon almond meal,
1 teaspoon ground oatmeal, 1 teaspoon sunflower seed meal,
1 teaspoon wheat germ.
Honey Cleansing Scrub
Mix 1 tablespoon honey with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 tsp ground almonds.
Rub gently onto face. Rinse off with warm water.